About Learnabout Electronics
So, you want to know what Learnabout Electronics is all about? Well you´ve come to the right place; I´m Eric Coates and I am based in the north of England. I guess I have the grand title of Founder, CEO, Author, Illustrator, Web Developer and whatever needs doing, the do-er of it!
After a 26 year practical career in electronics, and 17 years as a lecturer in vocational colleges in the UK, as well as an examiner and course moderator for several UK Examinations Boards, I have seen much of the good and the bad in technical education, and collected a lot of experience as an electronics engineer, student and teacher.
By 2003 the Internet was taking off big time in education. So as I left full time teaching the time seemed right to spread that experience to a wider audience.
I joined a BSc (Hons) course in Web Technology at the University of Lincoln (UK), where I was probably the oldest student (ever?) to be awarded a BSc with First Class Honours and the Department prize from the School of Media Technologies. In 2009 this was followed by a Masters degree in Education (Learning, Design, Technology) from Stanford University, in Silicon Valley California, and Learnabout Electronics was launched the same year.
So Learnabout Electronics started simply as a small (but prize winning) web site as part of my university studies. Since then it has continued to grow both in size and scope to become one of the most trusted and popular electronics sites on the web. Now with over 1700 or more illustrations and animations on over 270 pages of simply explained electronics topics.
Do our methods work? Millions of users say Yes! Learnabout electronics can be translated into over 50 languages, and is currently used in over 190 countries by over a third of a million people every month. Click here to see where Learnabout Electronics is helping people learn life changing skills in electronics at this very minute.
What our users say:
- Your site is very useful and its really awesome specially those animations for deeply and clearly understanding of the working of components. thank u, thanks a lot.. (V.G. India)
- 'Hello, Learnelectronics is the most educative site i have ever surfed. simple english, comprehensible mathematics, questions/answers and amazing topics. In fact, my friends i invited to the site confirmed this.... (Y.K. Nigeria)
- Am very happy to come across your website and am glad to see how you make everything very easy and simple to understand. Am a C&G holder in radio,television and electronics servicing in 1977...(A.S. Nigeria)
- ...Awesome, I can revise my all fundamentals here. It's just awesome....(A.T. India)
- At Last I found a place to start to understand electric/electronics thanks. (J.M. UK)
- Thanks Eric for your great help, finally reading about electronics it is not like trying to learn basic chinese, specially for a girl. (N.D. Argentina)
- Hello--I'd like to compliment you on your treatment of differentiation\high-pass and integration\low-pass circuits. For some reason this has been a topic I've had a difficult time fully grasping. I've looked at many, many treatments on the Web, and yours is hands-down the clearest. Congratulations...you have a real gift...(P.O. USA)
- May we have permission to link to your excellent site from our online library. Your explanations and diagrams are some of the best available on the net. Our modest library supports 68 students and would be especially valuable in our Marine Systems program. Thank you for considering this request. (B.B. USA)
- Excellent resource, well presented and an aid to my teaching - well done. (P.L. UK)
- Amazing! Thanks so much for this perfect website, with brilliant explanations! We Want More!!! (G.D. Netherlands)
- Nice page, many thanks for share and for your efforts.(A.G. Spain)
- ...I would like the opportunity to include illustrations or interactive media from your site for many of our lessons to teach how Diodes, Transistors, JFETs & MOSFETs operate.... (Electrician Trainer USAF), USA)
- Please help me to learn! (B.A. Iran)
- Hello, thank you so much for great and learning site, I have downloaded all PDF file, except file for semiconductors. Is it possible to have PDF file for Semiconductor as well? (D.H. Norway) Coming soon(E.C.)
- I am a marine engineer and fitter turner. I have just discovered your website and have been using it extensively to further my electrical and electronics knowledge as a lot of marine systems on-board now rely heavily on electronics. (N.F. New Zealand)
- I have interest to learn. (B.Y. Ethiopia)
- I am an electronics teacher at a high school.... This is a very valuable teaching tool. Thank you so much for developing it and allowing others to use it. (T.L. USA)
- Nice site! I'm always looking for educational sites for myself and for budding technicians, especially those who come to work for/with me. I like your animated FET. Does far more than words or formulas convey. (M.F. USA)
- What a fantastic resource and plethora of pertinent information in a style that suits the present cohort of "trade" based apprentices. It is obvious that somebody who has been on the front line of a Friday aftenoon trade class trying to teach AC Theory has been very involved in the design of the AC materials. (D.B. Australia)
- Wow! thank you for this site. I have been reading and reading nonstop! I wanted to go back to college ( I am college graduate) just to study electronics and learn more about the topic but I found this site and it has helped me a lot! So thank you for that! (A.F. Puerto Rico)
Since its launch in 2009 the aim of Learnabout Electronics has always been to supply high quality information on electronics, no bells, no whistles, just easy to read reliable information, backed up with clear and informative illustrations. This is why we have grown to be one of the most popular on line electronics education sites on the Web, used every year by millions of independent learners, major educational publishers, armed forces training establishments as well as colleges and universities all over the world.
Learnabout Electronics is completely FREE.
Nothing to pay!
No need to Log in!
Learning about electronics? Here you will find full and easy explanations of how components and circuits really work; animations to make transistor operation clear and stuff you need to know about digital electronics. Solve those problems for AC theory and know to to test transistors in our Fault Identification Section. Also get help with those essential maths problems you need when starting out in electronics. No one pretends that electronics is easy to learn but Learnabout Electronics uses well proven methods to help you learn thoroughly. Each module explains what you need to learn and a quiz at the end helps you check what you have learned. If you get any question wrong, you don't fail, we don't tell you the answer, you are guided back to where YOU can find the answer. This way you can get every question right!
Learnabout Electronics is designed to take your students one stage further in an interesting and informative way, with information suitable for students studying on a wide range of electronics courses, anywhere a practical understanding of electronic components and circuits is needed, with interactive animations and digital simulations useable on a wide range of devices and screen sizes. Learnabout Electronics will provide useful support material for advanced students, as well as key information for students new to electronics.
Learnabout Electronics also links to trusted electronics industry sites worldwide. Hundreds of electronics industry companies publish information on the web. We have chosen some of the best and provided relevant links on many topics to take you directly there.
Step by Step
Check out our unique Step by Step learning modules. Each one starts with "What you need to know", then takes you from basic information on your chosen topic, step by step through to more complex knowledge and understanding. At the end of each module a short quiz helps you check what you have learned. A paper version of every module is also free to download to print and keep.
Learn on line, or download whole learning modules to print and keep. Just look for the symbol at the top of many of our learning modules.
Learnabout Electronics grows and grows!
Learnabout Electronics continues to grow with new topics and new modules being developed continually. The aim of the site remains constant however. To provide the best possible on-line learning experience, freely available to all.
Much of the success of Learnabout Electronics is due to the invaluable input from users around the world who have contacted the site with suggestions, corrections and comments via our Contacts page.
The Learnabout Electronics site is changing
As more of our pages are redesigned to make them useable on mobile devices as well as desktops, our menus have also changed.
All the pages you have used before can still be accessed with no more than 3 clicks from the main menu bar at the top of every page.
If you already have bookmarks to our old pages, don't worry, you will automatically be re-directed to the new version of that page...........(Don't forget to update any old bookmarks.)